Friday, June 23, 2017

Davis Chair Project

Description: The following post will chronicle the adventure of restoring and reupholstering the Davis dining room chair set.

Day 1, Friday, June 23, 2017

                Here are 4 of the 6 chairs. I numbered the chairs and seats to make sure the seats end up in the right chairs. Began with number 1.    

First, I took apart the loose joints and began to reglue the chair. While waiting for glue to dry, I began taking apart the seat.


Discovered that the last person to work on the seat simply covered it with a new needlepoint fabric.

Once all the material and webbing was gone...

I discovered that the frame needed to be reglued.

Day 2, Saturday, June 24, 2017

Day 3 & 4, Saturday, July 1 & 2, 2017


Seat work

Coat of Restor a Finish shines it up.

Finished product...

Only 5 more to go...

Day 5 & 6

Discovered a rookie mistake--glued the top rail on backwards! A few small drill holes, hot water and vinegar solved the problem.

Three done, three to go...

Day 7

Some photos of pre-existing conditions & repairs

The repairs were still firm, so I didn't mess with them.

Day 8:   Four done, two to go...