Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Making a Go Board



My son asked me to make him a Go Board, and here's the story, mostly through photos.


1. I Started with a poplar board I had left over from another project. I sawed it in half and glued the two halves together to make a 23 x 23 inch board.





2. I then used a planer and sander to chamfer the edges and smooth out the board.





3. My plan at this point was to use my router to carve the 18 x 18 grid (1 inch squares). But fortune smiled on me: a friend with access to a CNC machine carved the grid. He saved me a huge amount of time, and the outcome was so much better than what I could have accomplished on my own.







4. He also taught me about pocket screw jigs--they have changed my life!







5.  In order to match the color of the Go-piece bowls, I stained the board a "cognac" brown, and used a black Sharpie to color in the grid. We discovered the black grid on the dark background was too hard to see, so I used an oil-based Sharpie to change the grid to white. 







Click on this link if you would like to learn how to play Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment